Metropolis of Boston Philoptochos Board
March 10, 2012
Meeting was brought to order at 9:50 AM
His Eminence Metropolitan Methodios opened with the Lord’s Prayer
Members in attendance: Philippa Condakes, Kiki Feldmar, Eleni Giannakis, Eleni Glaropoulos, Vicki Helali, Georgia Lagadinos, Frances Levas, Frances McInnis, Barbara Orlando, Stephanie Panagos, Eleni Pantelis, Marianne Phelan, Diane Stamatopulos, Eleni Stamboulidis and Maria Tamvakologos.
Motion to wave the reading of the minutes from 1/28/12 by Frances Levas 2nd Frances McInnis. Motion Passed. Minutes were accepted as presented.
- Letter from Hope Found
- Saint Basil’s – Appeal letter
- Invitation to 3/31 Appreciation luncheon
Treasurer’s Report – Diane Stamatopulos
- Sovereign Checking account balance – 26,125.86
- Faith and Heritage account balance – 4,235.70
- Philoxenia House account balance – 3,091.78
- Philoxenia House – Eleni Pantelis & Maria Tamvakologos: Currently there are 17 guests, both adults and children.
- Today after our meeting the Board will visit and bring lunch to the guests and family at Philoxenia.
- Faith and Heritage Center –Eleni Giannakis/Barbara Orlando
Winter camp for ages 8-18 was held and well attended.
The family winter camp was held and Counselors attended for training.
Outreach/Pine Street: Georgia Lagadinos- Service dates have been rescheduled for March, April 26 is planned.
Georgia has been in touch with the Italian for home for children- discussion about a literacy program- donating books to library.
Eleni and Georgia went to Bedford VA Medical Center Homeless Center to find out about their needs.
Hope Found is no longer in need of clothing, but toiletries are still needed.
Website Update: Treasurer’s page is up and running. Philippa has added Photos from the recent Fitchburg Event.
Chapter ratifications: - Norwich, Portland, Peabody and Marlboro have been contacted. Pawtucket and Newport have responded. No word from Braintree and Pittsfield.
Update of Social Services guidelines were discussed.
Retreat- Philippa discussed speakers, we have 25 women attending to date.
The Clergy Laity Conference is July1-4 in Phoenix, AZ:
Five delegates are allowed to attend from the Metropolis.
The Chapter awards will be available at a later date and each Metropolis receives an Agape Award (exemplary Philoptochos Woman). All Board members are asked to encourage their chapters to let us know what projects they are working on for submission to the website.
A Metropolis committee has been formed by the National Board to contact Chapters and encourage attendance at Conference. Diane Miminos is the chair. Members will contact chapters to poll the chapters on their plans for the Convention.
Biennial Fundraiser – Ideas were discussed for different venues, Museum of Science, etc.
Philippa wants a small committee formed to search for locations.
The Dover, NH church has contacted Philippa to obtain information on becoming a Philoptochos Chapter. The Metropolis has been invited to visit them on May 6.
The Next Meeting was scheduled for April 28
- May 12, 2012 Oratorical Festival –Eleni Giannakis, Vicki Helali and Diane Stamatopulos
- May 6, 2012 – Dover NH visit to discuss formation of Philoptochos Chapter
- May 12, 2012- Hellenic/Holy Cross 75th Anniversary at the Boston Pops
- June 10, 2012 – Metropolis Clergy Laity Awards Dinner
- June 13, 2012 – St. Methodios Vespers & Reception
- July 1-4, 2012 – Philoptochos Biennial Convention, Phoenix, AZ
Barbara Orlando, Acting Secretary